01 How might we provide the efficient CMS for administrators to publish manuscripts fleetly?
The main purpose of this case is used for examining and publishing the manuscripts fleetly. Some manuscripts are created over 100 hourly by automatically generating program. Some are created manually. Junior reporters don’t have authority to publish their manuscripts. They hand over manuscripts to CMS, where administrators are able to review. The high quality drafts will be sent out.
A content management system (CMS) is a software application or set of related programs that are used to create and manage digital content. CMS is responsible for interacting with the administrator and responding to front-end behavior. This case is sold to some specific clients who are able to manage manuscripts.
Product Conception Process
Understanding demand is the first step in product design.
- What is the background of the demand?
- What problems do the users need to solve? Are the results what the users really want?
- What is the direct/indirect business value of addressing this need?
- What is the business model and operating method behind the demand?
Demand management is the core of the product process. No matter which type of product is critical, it requires more emotion and energy.
The CMS manages content. Where does content come from?
- UGC (User Generated Content) is the core content source for CMS content management and the value growth point for business-driven products.
- Business interactivity content is the most important data stream in the front end and back end of the product, and there is also a part of natural data. This part of the data is precisely the basis of data analysis and business analysis.
- The TMT(Telecommunication，Media，Technology) industry also provides the necessary operation content. This resource also needs to be efficiently configured by CMS.
Visualizing requirements and ideas are based on functional maps and product prototype. Refine the original complex product requirements into more dimensional functional structure framework. It makes CMS feasible and grounded.
- Functional map is based on understanding the users’ requirements. It needs to abstract the requirements to be dimensional function.
- Product prototype. It is a process of recreating a product that already has a clear idea and scope of requirements. It is a process of rapid iteration.
The product framework design is based on the vision to ensure the scalability and versatility of the product. The iterations of the phases is either based on the actual situation or the strategic adjustment of the product, and the key of the problem depends on the motivation and purpose of the phased iteration.
02 TARGET AUDIENCE
Age: 29 years old
Occupation: Xinhua News Senior Reporter
Location: Hangzhou, China
03 ORIGINAL WEBSITE
Problems & Solutions
- It should be classified as undistributed or distributive manuscripts clearly.
- The video content doesn’t include shortcuts, which is a way to manage manuscripts efficiently.
- Filter bars will be modified by clients’ demand. It will include different filters in the future, like eBay filter condition.
- Interactive logic confuses users. Users are always lost within CMS.
- The previous CMS does not embody clients’ demand completely.
- Identified the trend of manuscripts on whether they are undistributed or not. CMS should provide assist administrators to manage manuscripts efficiently.
- Arranged the CMS architecture information based on the original website.
- Move filtered on the top to the left. This way allowed additional filters, and doesn’t disturb users’ visual effects.
04 CURRENT WEBSITE
This framework does NOT show all functions due to it is company’s classified document. The new CMS is more organized and classified manuscripts more clearly. This version really considers what the administrators’ needs and requirements. What will they use before and after distributing manuscripts? What will they need when they review the manuscripts?
I went through the entire CMS from the phase of UX. In a high-stress project, it takes two weeks from interaction to output(visually). The first phase is to establish a rigorous schedule which requires planning the respective review time with teammates, Product Group and Development Group. Second, during the process of sorting the interaction logic, taking account the various logical details, the relationship between the CMS in the lower and upper levels of the platform, the design specifications of the website, and the interaction habits of the users. Finally, during the development process, the Development Team is expected to have more interaction problems. Before the problem occurs, the CMS should be considered more comprehensive, and minimize any time and cost impacts.